I started writing when I was 12 years old. At that time, I didn’t know anything about marketing, branding or content strategy. I wasn’t thinking about reach, impressions or engagement. I was simply writing because I enjoyed it.
But looking back today as a management and marketing student I realize something important: I was building my personal brand long before I knew what “personal branding” even meant.
At the age of 15, I started my own personal blog using platforms like WordPress and Blogspot. Those platforms gave me my first real digital presence. I shared my thoughts, stories, and opinions and to my surprise my posts received really good responses. People read them. People reacted. People connected with what I wrote.
That was my first real lesson in marketing:
If your content connects with people, they will give you their attention.
Back then, the digital world was very different. There were no endless reels, no shorts, no constant notifications fighting for attention. People had fewer distractions. They had more patience. And because of that, they were more willing to read long-form content like blogs and articles.
Today, we live in what marketers call the “attention economy.”
Attention is the most valuable currency.
We are surrounded by visual content short videos, reels, stories, ads, and clips. Visual content is easy to consume. It requires less effort. You just watch, scroll, and move on. From a marketing point of view, this makes perfect sense: people prefer low-effort, high-speed content.
But here’s where it gets interesting not all audiences are the same.
Even today, you will find people who prefer books, articles, long blogs, or a Kindle over short videos. These are the users who want depth, not just dopamine. They want understanding, not just entertainment. And from a marketing perspective, this teaches us a powerful lesson:
Different formats serve different mindsets.
My personal belief is this:
When people read, they don’t just consume content they participate in it.
When we read a book or an article, we imagine the scenes. We create the characters. We build the world in our own minds. Two people can read the same text and still imagine it differently. That means reading is not passive it’s active engagement.
But when we watch a video, we only see what the creator shows us.
The camera decides the story.
The screen limits the imagination.
And when the video ends, most of the experience ends there too.
From a marketing and communication point of view, this is crucial:
- Videos are great for quick attention and fast impact
- Writing is powerful for deep connection and long-term influence
A good book, article, or blog doesn’t disappear after a few seconds. It stays with you. It shapes your thinking. Sometimes it influences your decisions for years. That’s not just content that’s brand impact.
This is probably why I never stopped writing.
What started as a hobby at 12, and a personal blog at 15, slowly became a part of my identity. Without realizing it, I was learning about:
- Audience behavior
- Content positioning
- Engagement psychology
- And personal branding
Long before I studied these topics in management and marketing.
For students today, especially in marketing, this is an important takeaway:
Don’t just chase trends. Understand attention. Understand people. Understand platforms.
Yes, short-form content is powerful. Yes, visuals dominate today’s digital space. But long-form content blogs, articles, books still builds trust, authority, and long-term value.
In marketing, we don’t just sell products.
We build stories. We shape perceptions. We create experiences.
And sometimes, the strongest experiences are not the ones people watch for 30 seconds but the ones they read, imagine, and remember for years.
That’s what writing taught me.
Not just about words but about marketing, communication, and the real value of attention.
No comments:
Post a Comment